This is a lovely moist sponge with a strong tang of citrus and juicy sultanas. Topped with lemon icing and crystallised orange, it is a real tea time treat!
You will need an 11 x 7" tray bake tin and lining paper.
For the sponge
85 gms Unsalted Butter
85 gms Soft Baking Margarine
170 gms Caster Sugar
226gms S.R. Flour - sifted.
2 Eggs - beaten
Zest of 1 Orange - grated
Zest of 1 Lemon - grated
5 Tblsp Marmalade
4 Level Tblsp Fresh Orange Juice
For the Crystallised oranges
150 gms Caster Sugar + an extra 40 for the finish
120 mls water.
For the icing.
280 gms Icing Sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Cream the fats and sugar until light and fluffy with the grated fruit zests.
2. Add the marmalade.
3. Beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture appears to be curdling.
4. Fold in the flour, orange juice and sultanas
5. Pour the mixture into the tin which has been greased and lined with baking paper.
6. Make a slight dip in the centre to ensure the cake is level when baked.
7. Bake at 180° for 25 - 30 mins.
8. Cool slightly in the tin and then on a wire rack.
To make the Crystallised oranges
1. Using a potato peeler peel the skin from an orange in strips and going from top to bottom.
2. Cut into finer strips.
3. Place in a small pan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
4. Drain and rinse the orange strips in cold water.
5. Repeat this process once.
6. Place 120mls water in the pan and add the sugar.
7. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then re add the orange.
8. Boil in the syrup for 20 mins and then drain and cool enough to handle
9. Place the extra 40 gms sugar in a bag and add the orange strips
10. Shake until all covered in the sugar, tip out and place on one side.
For the icing.