500 gms Strong White Flour
10 gms Quick Dried Yeast
¼ Teasp Salt
3 Tablsp Caster Sugar
60 gms Unsalted Butter - diced and very soft
250 mls Tepid Full Fat Milk
150 gms Good Quality Raisins
100 gms Craisins (Dried Cranberries)
2 Large Eggs
2Teasp Mixed Spice
1 Teasp Cinnamon
THE CROSS PASTE
3 Tablsp Flour
Water to mix
30 gms Caster Sugar
1 Tablsp Cinnamon
2 Tablsp Golden Syrup
1. Place the tepid milk and 1 egg into the mixer bowl with the dough hook attached.
2. Add the flour, butter, sugar, yeast and salt ensuring that the salt and yeast are on opposite sides of the bowl.
3. Mix on slow speed for 5 minutes and then increase the speed to medium for 7 minutes or until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the dried fruit and spices and mix again for a couple of minutes until the fruit is incorporated.
5. Turn the dough out on to the work surface and mould into a ball. Place back in a clean bowl, cover with a dry cloth and leave to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
6. When ready, tip out on to a work surface and divide the dough into 65-70 gm pieces.
7. Roll into neat balls and place on to a lightly greased tray fairly close together.
8. Beat the final egg and add a good pinch of salt. Lightly glaze the tops of the buns and leave to prove again for about 1½ hours.
9. Add water to the flour until a soft paste forms
10. Place in a piping bag and cut just the very tip off.
11. Pipe crosses on to the buns.
12. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the wet crosses
13. Bake in the oven for 20 mins approx and then cool on a wire rack and when warm glaze with slightly melted golden syrup.
N.B. CAN BE FROZEN - DEFROST THOROUGHLY BEFORE EATING.