500 gms Strong White Flour
10 gms Quick Dried Yeast
¼ Teasp Salt
2 Tablsp Caster Sugar
60 gms Unsalted Butter - diced and very soft
250 mls Tepid Full Fat Milk
260 gms Mixed Dried Fruit
2 Large Eggs
1 Teasp Mixed Spice
½ Teasp Cinnamon
THE CROSS PASTE
100 gms Plain Flour
1 Teasp Veg Oil
Pinch of Salt
Water to mix (about 5 Tablesp)
THE SUGAR GLAZE
100 gms Sugar
100 mls Water
This recipe uses a mixer but it can all be done by hand in a large bowl. You will need to knead the dough on a work surface until smooth and non sticky before proving.
SET OVEN TO 190°C
1. Place the tepid milk and 1 egg into the mixer bowl with the dough hook attached.
2. Add the flour, butter, sugar, yeast and salt ensuring that the salt and yeast are on oppsite sides of the bowl.
3. Mix on slow speed for 5 minutes and then increase the speed to medium for 7 minutes or until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the fried fruit and spices and mix again for a couple of minutes until the fruit is incorporated.
5. Turn the dough out on to the work surface and mould into a ball. Place back in a clean bowl, cover with a dry cloth and leave to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
6. When ready, tip out on to a work surface and divide the dough into 65-70 gm pieces.
7. Roll into neat balls and place on to a lightly greased tray fairly close together.
8. Beat the final egg and add a good pinch of salt. Lightly glaze the tops of the buns and leave to prove again for about 1½ hours.
9. Beat together your cross paste ingredients until you have a consistency that can be piped - set aside.
10. When the buns are ready, brush again with the egg glaze and pipe a cross on the tops.
11. Bake in the oven for 20 mins approx and then cool on a wire rack.
12. Mix the water and sugar together in a small pan, bring to the boil for a few minutes and glaze the top of each bun.
13. Best eaten fresh but can be stored in an airtight tin for 2 - 3 days.
N.B. CAN BE FROZEN - DEFROST THOROUGHLY BEFORE EATING.