SWEET SHORTCRUST PASTRY
400 gms Plain Flour
250 gms Slightly Salted Butter
Good Pinch Salt
35 gms Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs - Beaten
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl or your processor
2. Rub the butter into the flour until resembling fine breadcrumbs
3. Add the sugar and mix in
4. Add the beaten eggs and combine together until you have a soft pliable dough.
5. Chill in the fridge for about 20 mins.
6. Roll out fairly thinly on a lightly floured surface and using cutters, cut out the sizes and shapes you require.
7. Fill with mincemeat and glaze the lids with a little beaten egg.
8. Bake for approx 15 - 20 mins at 190°C
9. Cool on a wire rack.
TO MAKE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT MINCE PIE, BUT VERY DELICIOUS, USE A PASTRY BASE AND A FRANGIPANE TOPPING AND FINISH WITH A LITTLE WATER ICING AND TOASTED FLAKED ALMONDS
110 gms unsalted butter
110 gms caster sugar
110 gms Ground Almonds
½ Teasp Almond Essence
30gms S.R. Flour
Grated zest of half a lemon or orange (to personal choice)
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2. Add the beaten eggs gradually, beating well.
3. Fold in the almonds, flour, baking powder and grated zest.
4. Use as required.
IF TOPPING MINCE PIES, BAKE FOR ABOUT 20 MINS AT 190°C