You will need: Standard jars and waxed discs
Large Glass Bowl
Makes approx 7 x 450gm jars.
2 Very Large Bramley Cooking Apples
240gms Shredded Suet (Vegetarian suet can be substituted)
100gms Dried Cranberries
140gms Mixed Peel
350gms Soft Brown Sugar
2 Large Oranges - Zest and Juice
2 Large Lemons - Zest and Juice
5 Level Teasps Mixed Spice
1 Level Teasp Cinnamon
1 Level Teasp Nutmeg
7 Tablsp. Brandy
1. Core and quarter the apples, then chop fairly small (no need to peel the apples)
2. Mix all the ingredients (except the brandy) very well together in the glass bowl.
3. Cover with a clean cloth or film/foil and leave to marinate overnight.
4. Set the oven to 110°C Fan and cover the bowl just loosely with foil.
5. Place in the warmed oven and leave for 2½ - 3 hours. You can give it a stir halfway through.
6. Remove from the oven and you will see that the suet has melted (fat preserves the mincemeat)
7. Let the mixture cool stirring occasionally.
8. When completely cold add the brandy and mix well.
9. Place into clean, sterilised jars, cover with a wax disc and screw the lids on tightly.
10. Can be used immediately or store in a cool place - will keep for up to a year.
There is absolutely no comparison with shop bought mincemeat and your own...check it out!!