1 quantity of the basic bread dough. (Substitute the water for milk)
115 gms strong cheddar cheese
1 Large Red Onion
Good handful Basil leaves.
A little butter and oil for frying.
Set oven 210°C.
1. Make the bread as in Basic Bread and put to prove
2. Finely chop the onion and lightly sweat in the oil and butter, drain.
3. Chop the basil leaves
4. Finely grate the cheese.
5. After the first prove, tip the dough out on to a lightly greased surface and add the cheese, onion and basil. Mix in thoroughly.
6. Shape in to a round loaf and lightly cut a criss cross pattern on the top.
7. Leave to prove for a second time (about 45 mins to 1 hour)
8. Lightly brush with a liitle milk.
9. Bake for 30 – 45 mins until golden (if your bread seems to be browning too quickly, cover with a piece of foil)
10. Serve warm with lashings of cold butter.